Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Megan vs. Squirrel

I endured a traumatic experience today. I woke up this morning thinking, "this is going to be a great day".  I got up for an early swim, was feeling great; little did i know what I would be facing just hours later.

My mom called me this morning and told me that my Grandma saw a squirrel in her house, so I decided to go up and see what was going on.  Jess and I went there and could not see the squirrel anywhere.  A half hour later, we saw our cute little fury friend (or so I thought) perched on the couch.  We thought we could nicely and calmly corral him out the door, easy, right? How naive we were.

Look closely and you can see his little tale as he rushed out the door.

The squirrel began circling around the room and bouncing off the walls. 

In the shutters...that little devil.

At this point Jess had made a trail out of pecans and peanuts out the door, so I tried to block him from going down the stairs to the basement.  That is when this happened...

If you can't tell, the squirrel is heading straight for me and is in mid air...
I have endured some pretty frightening things in my life, this one goes in my top 3.  I tried to dodge the ravenous rodent but didn't quite make it and was trampled on...ok, i know what you are thinking. "This is a little dramatic, he's just a harmless little squirrel". FALSE. I'm not certain, but I am pretty sure I saw little red horns coming out of his head.

The devil rodent then scurried downstairs to the basement.  Things started to get real serious.  Jess patrolled the upstairs while my mom and I ventured down to the basement to try and scare the little rodent back upstairs.  

Lesson one; a Swiffer can be a great scaring device against squirrels (no squirrels were harmed during this event).

Lesson two; loud noises do not help scare squirrels but they do help your confidence levels when going against devil rodents.

Lesson three; squirrels can jump.  While trying to scare the little (but terribly frightening) guy upstairs, he had almost made it up the stairs, got spooked and jumped back downstairs.  Imagine this...


Ok so that may be a little exaggerated...but you get the point. The squirrel was headed straight for my head, and if my lightning like reflexes had not kicked in, I may have not lived to tell the tale...the squirrel's body swish right by my face and I screamed, squirmed and flailed like an idiot for a good 15 seconds. 

We eventually got him outside...or at least we think we did.  Lesson learned, squirrels are not the cute and fluffy creatures we all think they are.  Don't be fooled!  


These creatures are not to be trifled with.  



No comments:

Post a Comment