Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Grand Road Trip Day 1-4

Since January, Isaac and I have been planning a road trip to Northern California to visit Yosemite National Park.  I had visited the park before when I was really young and LOVED it (there was even a bear story involved), but Isaac had never been.  I made such great plans for the whole trip, we would first stop in Tahoe and spend time at the beach there, then move our way to the Bay area to visit my family and spend a day in the city, then leave for Santa Cruz for a short trip and lastly head to our final destination, Yosemite for our first family camping trip.

To say our trip went just as planned would be a lie, but to say I didn't love every bit of it would be a lie as well.  We received a quick reality check of what it was really like traveling with an almost 2 year old, first of which was her bout with car sickness just 40 minutes outside of Tahoe on our first stretch of the drive.  Although things did not go as planned I loved the time we were able to spend together and the friends and family we were able to visit with.

Our first day consisted of a long drive to Tahoe, a car sick Daphne and a delicious dinner in Tahoe City.  I must say, Daphne did surprisingly well the first 8 hour stretch of the drive, she was a champ, but nevertheless the stuffy car ride got the best of her and we found ourselves cleaning up throw up in the Target parking lot in Reno.  Thank goodness Isaac was able to take care of the worst of it or else I may have become sick as well due to my extremely sensitive gag reflex (one of the fun parts of being pregnant).  We got to our destination in Tahoe and after a quick refresh at our hotel we headed to dinner at a restaurant in Tahoe City called Bridgetender where we had the most delicious pulled pork sandwich, quesadilla and wedge salad.  From there we took a quick walk outside near the Lake and then headed back to the hotel to get some much needed rest.


^^
such a good doobie in the car



^^
that mullet though


^^
the hotel life suits her well





Day two began with the most delicious cold pressed juices in Truckee and a 3 hour drive into the Bay area to see my grandma and the rest of the family.  We pulled into Orinda and gladly spent the day hanging out in my Grandma's backyard eating sandwiches, drinking juice and playing cards (our new favorite game, 313).  Daphne loved chasing around Susie (or as we like to call her, Suze) and yelling out, "Doggie! Doggie!".  We then met with the Aunts, Uncles and cousins at a bocce ball court for dinner and a friendly game of bocce ball (I am no good at the game but we had so much fun playing).  When I was younger, we lived with my grandma and my uncles were like older brothers to me.  I look up to them all so much and had so much fun spending time with them all.




^^
baby LOVED the juice

^^
and so did this baby girl


^^
hanging out with the whole fam, Daphne loved being with my cute cousins

^^
Daphne and Papa



The next morning, day three, we started early and headed into the city.  Isaac had never been to Alcatraz so we had to make the trip.  I didn't mind at all because I find Alcatraz absolutely fascinating.  Daphne did ok for about half of the audio tour and then became antsy so I took her for a walk outside while Isaac finished the tour.  It was such a beautiful cloudy morning, so I didn't mind a bit.  After Alcatraz we decided to take a long walk through the city.  One if Isaac's coworkers gave us 2 tickets for a trolley ride which Daphne loved.  The ride was full of "Weeeees" and "Whoahs!".  We got off and walked to the highest point of the city and found the most delicious bakery called Mr. Homes Bakehouse in which we indulged in MANY tasty treats (an entire box in fact).  We continued to walk through the city and Daphne fell asleep in the stroller.  It was so neat to walk around and see the city and we were lucky to have the most beautiful weather (sunny but not too hot).  Daphne had the most amazing 3 hour nap and Isaac and I just continued to walk around and enjoy the city.  After her nap, and a little melt down (by Daphne, not me...don't worry, my melt down comes later in the trip) we took Daphne to the Exploratorium on the Embarcadero.  Who's to say whether we had more fun or she did but we could have spent all day there!  We then went back to the car and drove to pick up my cousin who is working in the SF and head to dinner to meet some other friends and then head to the Giants game.  We had dinner at a place called The Little Skillet.  Fired chicken and mac & cheese...need I say more?  It was the ultimate comfort food, we were able to walk to the stadium from dinner and make the trek up to our seats.  I had not yet been to the new stadium and found that it was just as amazing as I had expected.  We had the most incredible view of the bay which provided the most beautiful backdrop for a baseball game.  Daphne did decently well for her first major league baseball game and lasted almost 7 innings, sadly we had to leave before the 7th inning stretch but it had been a long day so we were pretty exhausted and ready to leave.  By the end of the day we had clocked about 13 miles of walking (for being 7 months pregnant I felt pretty good about that, especially when it included those steep San Franciscan hills).  We had a packed and fun day in the city.



Alcatraz

^^
on the ferry to Alcatraz




^^
very interested in learning about Al Capone and other famous inmates of Alcatraz










 The Trolley



^^
the trolley!







^^
she enjoyed her nap and we enjoyed our pastries

^^
best Dad award goes to this guy for pushing Daphne up all the steep hills

^^
wind swept



The Exploratorium

^^
I love how they can be curious and explore together, Daphne is so much like Isaac that way and I love it











 The Giants Game



^^
a churro can make even the crankiest of kids happy

^^
not our best picture, but at least we got one

^^
Daphne wore her hat proudly





We took day four easy, had french toast for breakfast with my Grandma and Bob and played more cards.  It was then time to pack up and hit the road again to head to Santa Cruz for a quick beach stop and then continue down to Fresno to meet our friends.  Daphne loved the beach and it was a nice break to just sit down and enjoy the ocean breeze.  We then road our bikes down to the boardwalk and ate pizza before we headed out to Fresno.  We pulled into Fresno late, were able to see our friends' the Marcum's home and head to bed to rest for another early morning and our trek into Yosemite.




^^
so fancy







Santa Cruz











^^
Daphne is not amused





No comments:

Post a Comment