When I was in the 3rd grade I had just transfered to my third elementary school. It was St. Patrick's day and I remember feeling like such as outsider. I remember sitting in the class and thinking how hard it would be to make friends, I was already extremely shy. That day, everyone in the class had a secret classmate that they gave a gift to for St. Patrick's Day. Because it was my very fist day I wasn't paired with anyone to swap gifts so I just kept to myself. A girl in my class noticed that I didn't get a gift and came over to me. She put her hand out and said that she noticed I didn't get anything so she wanted to give me her hostess cupcake from her own lunch. I remember going home and thinking, "I think this girl and I will be great friends". She was so nice and went out of her way to make me feel included.
To this day, that girl and I are still friends. We have so much fun together. We went through elementary school together, Jr. High and High School. We loved listening to Chicago, playing cards and joking around. Before we could drive we would bike to each other's houses and hang out for hours. When we were in the 9th grade we started running cross country together and skied together, she always pushed me to do better. Then when we got to high school we car pooled every morning and would blast our Kenny Chesney music so loud our ears would ring. We went to concerts together, trips to bear lake together, completed 2 triathlons together and so much more. She has always been such an amazing influence for me and I am so grateful for that.
This last September Jess and I ran in the top of Utah marathon. Towards the end I was feeling very tired and discouraged and was questioning whether I could finish or not. I was running through a neighborhood with tears in my eyes just wanting to finish but could not muster up the energy. As I turned around a corner I spotted Joss. She came to meet me and ran the last 6 miles with me. She pushed me through it and helped me finish. She gave words of encouragement and really pulled me through that last 6 miles. Honestly, if she hadn't come I don't know that I would have finished.
I am so grateful to have a wonderful friend like Jocelyn, don't know what I'd do with out her!
Thanks Joss!
 |
| 9th grade ceramics class...haha so many good memories. |
 |
| one of the many trips to bear lake. |
 |
| Trip to Zion's national park. |
 |
| Bear Lake...again. |
 |
| Senior dinner dance. |
 |
Bear Lake, holding on for dear life during one of my mom's infamous tube rides.
|
What a sweet post. I always wished I was better friends with her because she is one of the sweetest girls. So are you meg! Glad you had a friend in third grade. I remember being in the same place when I was in 4th grade.
ReplyDelete